The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet Audiobook

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet - Bernie Su, Kate Rorick, Ashley Clements

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries was a webseries on youtube which was a modern day adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. It followed Lizzie Bennet, the middle child of three sisters who is a graduate student getting her masters in Communications. She starts a video blog for her class and ends up having an eventful year which she documents in her twice weekly vlog. The program was unique in that not only were there the videos, the characters also had social media accounts. Almost everyone had twitter, Jane had a Pinterest, and I think Lizzie had a tumblr.

Here is the complete playlist of the series including the 100 episodes of the main series, the Q&A videos, Lydia's videos, and a few other series that tied into the storyline. You can also watch the main series alone here.

Also, here's my favorite episode. What do you do when Lydia and Collins keep bugging you? Let them bug each other.

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is my favorite modern adaptation of Pride & Prejudice. And most fans know there are plenty. The casting was fantastic and the way they modernized the story was perfect. I cannot recommend the series enough. The group that made the series also did a short adaptation of Sanditon, Jane Austen's unfinished novel, (though I didn't love the series, it had some good moments, but it was not nearly as good as LBD, but I won't go into all the details) and they are currently finishing up Emma Approved, a modern day adaptation of Emma, which got off to a rough start, but has been getting better and better. They are also starting an adaptation of Frankenstein partnering with PBS Digital Studios which is staring later this year.

So that was a lot of background for this review, but I highly recommend the series and love plugging it.

Anyway, the group which did the series also put out a book from Lizzie's diary which she keeps through the series and details many events which weren't seen on screen. One of my favorite parts is how she regrets the makeup she used on the first episode which I have always commented on. There's also a lot of great things that we learn and it really adds to the story. I can't speak to how it works without knowing the show as well, and I did have fun rewatching episodes while I was listening to this. Again, I'd rate this the best modern-day adaptation of the series.

The reason I picked up the audiobook portion is because it was narrated by Ashley Clements, who played Lizzie Bennet in the webseries. I doubt I would've picked it up for any other narrator. Ashley Clements is Lizzie Bennet and it wouldn't have been right to listen to anyone else. That being said, as great an actress as she is, she is not a great narrator. The voices she used are the same ones that she used during costume theater in the show. For the show it worked and was fun. But she was doing more impressions of the characters rather than actually voicing them. Again, this doesn't work for an audiobook.

She also mispronounced a few things or used the wrong pronunciation. For example, she narrated (paraphrasing here) that "everyone, read Jane, would be there". She pronounced read as "red" versus as "reed". Both are proper ways, but in that instance it should have been "reed" as far as I am aware. If I'm wrong let me know.

I think I'm going to have to pick this up in book form as well so I can enjoy it again. Highly recommended along with the show.