Perpetual Page-Turner 2014 Survey

Dreams of Gods & Monsters - Laini Taylor

5th Annual End of Year Book Survey – 2014 Edition!

2014 Stats:

Number Of Books You Read: 274
Number of Re-Reads: 13
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy

2014 Survey:

1. Best Book You Read In 2014?

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown, narrated by Edward Herrmann

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Sacrifice by Brigid Kemmerer. I mean, I really liked it, but I wanted a lot more.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?

The How to Train Your Dragon audiobook series. I thought I would like it, but those books have been one of the highlights of the year for me.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?

Most people I know have long lists so I try not to add to them.

5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?

Series: How to Train Your Dragon audiobooks; Sequel: Cress from the Lunar Chronicles series; Series Ender: Sailor Moon Volume 12

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?

Cressida Cowell of the aforementioned How to Train Your Dragon series. Though I admit a lot of that love is due to David Tennant's narration.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

I kinda read everything...

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Cress by Marissa Meyer. I was up early reading.

9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Winner's Tale by Marie Rutkoski. I want to try the audiobook.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?

The above Dreams of Gods and Monsters

11. Most memorable character of 2014?

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?

No idea...

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?

The Neverending Story

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?

“Trust me, I never underestimate my charm or any of my other magnificent attributes. They work great on women. Alas, men tend to see me as an unwelcome rival. You, he might listen to. You're good at talking people into things."

"What makes you say that?"

"Because I'm perched in the rafters of a cannery, at risk from a man-slaying magical creature, and spending time with a drunk, a gangster, and an assassin at . . . what time is it?”
― Lindsay Buroker, The Emperor's Edge

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (1,088 pages) and The Tailor by Leigh Bardugo (18 pages)

17. Book That Shocked You The Most

Kinslayer by Jay Kristoff

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)

I read a lot of good romance, but Free Marshall and Oliver Clark from The Suffragette Scandal were my favorite

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

Friendship between Hiccup, Camicazi, and Fishlegs in How to Train Your Dragon series

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Suffragette Scandal again. I read the first novella for the Brothers Sinister in 2013 and finished the series this year.

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

I don't know if The Emperor's Blades would have been so high on my list if not for all the praise it got.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?

Again, Maldynado, the attractive, sarcastic, flirt from Lindsay Buroker's Emperor's Edge series

23. Best 2014 debut you read?

The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

Watership Down

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

How to Train Your Dragon audiobooks

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?

Watership Down

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

The Emperor's Edge

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

The Winner's Curse

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?

Courtney Milan's Brothers Sinister series is a romance series, but I felt each had enough of a twist on the common formula to stand out.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Everneath had a gorgeous cover but I wasn't a fan of the series.

Looking Ahead:

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?

I started a Tamora Pierce reread, and got one book into it. Will be continuing (and concluding) in 2015.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?

Winds of Winter :) If it doesn't get released then Fairest and Winter to conclude the Lunar Chronicles

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

Looks like the Red Queen is the only one on my list, anyone have others I should look out for?

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?

Lunar Chronicles ending

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?

Get through a lot of manga and owned books