Unbroken

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption - Edward Herrmann, Laura Hillenbrand

Unbroken was set up to be a great book for me. It shares an audiobook narrator and the first section of the book deals with the 1936 Olympics as my favorite book of the year, The Boys in the Boat.

That first section of the book was great and I loved seeing many of the same events that concluded The Boys in the Boat from a different angle.

Let me back up a bit, in case you haven't heard about it. Unbroken is the story of Louis Zamperini. As a child he was always getting into trouble until his older brother Pete got him to redirect his speed into running. He manages to make it to the 1936 Olympics, and while he doesn't win, he shows promise and was widely believed that he would be the first man to break the four-minute mile. However, with WWII and the cancellation of the 1940 Olympics, he ends up in the Air Force. His plane is shot down over the Pacific, he and other pilot survives 47 days at sea before being picked up by the Japanese. He then suffers over two years in their war camps.

He has a great story and what could have been researched was. The 47 days at sea is told from the memory of two men many years after it happened. But it is a good story.