Boys in the Boat

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics - Daniel James Brown

And my new favorite read of 2014. I love sports movies. Moneyball, Miracle, Seabiscuit, 42, A League of Their Own, Mighty Ducks, etc. etc.

If The Boys in the Boat is made into a movie (and apparently the rights were sold before the book was even published) I'm going to see it.

As the title suggests, the book follows the 1936 US 8-man rowing team at the Berlin Olympics. Even knowing the ending, I was on the edge of my seat for most of this book and listening to all that they dealt with and had to overcome not just to win, but to come together as a crew and a team.

I did have an advantage coming into this book because I rowed for a bit in college and was familiar with the terminology.

Most of the book follows Joe Rantz, one of the members of the team. But you also learn the stories of the coaches, other rowers, their families, and the architects of the Berlin Olympics. Joyce, Joe's eventual wife, gets a lot of page time and I loved learning about her.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book and hopefully the movie will do it justice. I will definitely see it.