I Am Malala

I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai

I Am Malala is a fascinating book and was an enjoyable audiobook.

I first heard about Malala Yousafzai when she was shot last year. The prologue of this book is narrated by her and what she remembers of the shooting and what happened.

The book is part biography of her and her family, but it's mostly a biography of Pakistan, which I am actually not too familiar with. The book was cowritten with Christina Lamb, a British journalist.

Malala is truly an admirable person and I plan on (at least attempting to) follow her career and see where she ends up.

One thing I did find interesting is that Malala is a fan of Twilight and brings it up throughout the book. Granted she mainly mentions the vampire part of that, but it's ironic that a champion of education is a fan of a book where the main character shrugs off school and college despite her opportunities.

Another interesting part was that the book is narrated by Archie Punjabi, of The Good Wife and Bend it Like Beckham. Malala watches Bend it Like Beckham at one point and has to turn it off because of the scene where the girls take off their shirts and play soccer in their sports bras.