30 Day Book Playlist Challenge - Day 23

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter 6)[Adult Edition] by Rowling, J. K. on 23/06/2006 UK open market edition - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

Day 23: Name a book you enjoyed but read through quickly (Ska)

By the time the fifth one came out, I was a fairly fast reader. For these books I would pretty much put myself on lockdown until I finished them. All were finished within 24 hours of getting the book.

For Order of the Phoenix, I decided to try Amazon's release day delivery, which was new at the time. I pretty much waited by the door all day until I got the damn book. Which wasn't until 2pm. I sat on the couch for about the next 8 hours until I finished.

For Half-Blood Prince, I was actually in Oxford, UK for a summer program. We had a strict curfew so I assumed I wouldn't be able to go to a midnight release (though I wanted to). I stopped by a bookstore in the city and preordered it there. That's when I learned that UK has two covers for each book, a children's which you've probably seen, and an adult version so they wouldn't feel foolish with a children's book. I decided to pick the adult cover (seen above). At the time I was picking I didn't know why there was a difference but I looked it up later.

I later found out that we could go to a midnight release party, but we could only go to one bookstore, and it was not the one I ordered from. Not wanting to cancel my order, I simply got up early the release day and picked up the book with no gigantic line. For this program we did have Saturday classes so I read what I could before it started and then finished later that day.

For Deathly Hallows, I finally got to do a midnight release party. My friends and I were smart to pick up wristbands early and got to get our books with the first group (there were six, a few hundred each group). I read the first three chapters when I got home and finished it when I woke the next day. I actually stopped right before they left the Dursley's which in retrospect was the perfect place to stop.