Fuzzy Nation - John Scalzi

When I previously tried to listen to a John Scalzi audiobook, I had to give up after about a half hour. Granted, it was a free preview chapter from his new book. I didn't feel bad about not enjoying something I got for free.

This book I used credits on. I was not giving up.

When I read a book normally, prose isn't too important to me. Sure some things many stick out and annoy me but I can skip over them if they bother me too much and focus on the story. For audiobooks I can't really do that.

My first try for John Scalzi was Red Shirts which I found fun and didn't have an issue with the writing. Here's my issue with his writing which I notice when I listen to it. 95% (roughly) of the dialogue is framed with "s/he said", not asked, responded, questioned, etc. etc. of all the other wonderful words he could use, he continually uses the word "said"

In a book I physically read, I don't really notice. When I have to listen it grates on me within a few lines. It's why I gave up on the other audiobook. Luckily not every scene in this book revolves around dialogue and so I could get through it.

I really liked this book. Jack Holloway was an interesting protaganist who reminded me of the "Firefly" episode Shindig where Mal proclaims mercy is the sign of a great man, and then jabs his antagonist, and decides he is a good man. Then jabs him again and decides he is just alright.

Jack isn't the most moral man in the world, but he was the type of man who could do what needs to be done for the right outcome. I don't think I will pick up any of the original novels from this series, but I do recommend this book.