Inuyasha: Volumes 3 and 4

InuYasha: Good Intentions, Vol. 3 - Rumiko Takahashi InuYasha, Vol. 4: Lost and Alone - Rumiko Takahashi

The story picks up right where we left off, with Inuyasha and Kagome beginning their search for the different shards of the Shikon no Tama which was broken in Volume 1.

The two have a tenuous alliance. Inuyasha still wants the jewel for himself and has the strength to defeat the demons who have the shards, but he needs Kagome to see where the shards are, and the pesky necklace Kaede placed on Inuyasha allows Kagome to force Inuyasha to the ground whenever she wants.

The stories over these volumes jumps between the Feudal Era and modern day Tokyo where Kagome keeps returning in order to go to school and take exams. All of these stories were adapted into anime episodes, so I was familiar with them. There is more nudity/violence in the manga series than the anime so I have been getting used to that. It's not gratuitous or overdone, but I wasn't expecting it going in.

The most important storyline of the four we encounter begins at the end of Volume 3 and runs through most of Volume 4, with the introduction of Shippo, a fox (kitsune) demon.

His father has been killed by the Thunder Brothers, Hiten and Manten who are demons with Shikon jewel shards. He tries to steal the two shards that Kagome and Inuyasha have collected.  He is a young demon but has a bunch of tricks up his sleeve and makes off with them. While chasing after him, Kagome gets captured by Manten after actually hitting him with her bow and arrow.

Shippo and Inuyasha end up teaming up and getting Kagome back and Shippo joins the two of them on their journey.

I enjoyed Kagome's trips home where she learns that her family has been making more and more elaborate medical excuses for why she hasn't been in school. We also meet Hojou, a boy in Kagome's class who keeps bringing her remedies for her medical aliments and appears to be interested in her, but her commitment to the Shikon no Tama keeps her busy. There is also a fun scene I remembered from the anime where Sota, Kagome's brother, dramatically dives into the well to try travel back in time to get Inuyasha to help while Kagome is being attacked in her own time. It doesn't work, but Inuyasha  shows up anyway and helps out.

All these storylines were adapted into anime episodes, so I was familiar with them. But I'm enjoying the story as it goes.